[Coco] Question about UmuseK

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Nov 15 21:22:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/15/03 12:30:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bdevries at gil.com.au writes:

> Are you aware that if you [F10] to another screen away from A playing song
>  in UmuseK V9.12.11C, it stops playing, and saves all the notes up, and
plays
>  them all in a rush when you go back to its screen?
>  Is this a bug, or a feature? :-)

It's both!  And yes, I'm aware of it, and not real happy about it.
But there's a reason it's there.  I put it in so if you hold a mouse button
while it's playing, the music pauses.  Try it -- with good timing, you can
catch it on a chord, and that chord just keeps on sounding out your synth.  Great
for finding a bad note in your score.

Unforch, I found that, if you switch screens, the mouse routine does not
return, and the music pauses.  And worse yet, as you noticed, time does not stop
passing in UME's mind, so the catch-up is instantaneous.

I tried to figure out some way for the mouse routine to distinguish its
return value between button held and no screen, but couldn't come up with a simple
solution.

I could certainly make it an option.  And then maybe work on a better
mouse-trap (routine).

Yes, I noticed this mis-feature the first time I went to do some edit and
compile while having nice background music.

If you really care (like you intend to use UME on the MM/1) I will fix this.
There is another brand-new bug in UmuseK that I just put in last week with
some upgrading, will have to fix that too anyway.  --Mike K.