[Coco] MM1 programmes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 15 20:46:00 EST 2003

On Saturday 15 November 2003 20:21, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/13/03 3:02:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>adit at 1stconnect.com writes:
>> >2. Where can I get the driver/descriptor for the MIDI port?
>>
>>  I would think that it should be in the same directory with the
>> other descriptors, but since I never used MIDI (BTW weren't those
>> a different board than the standard serial board? Dang, I think I
>> have the CRAFT disease as well.
>
>I'm on eof the few who actually put up $50 for the MIDI port, and
> ISTR you got the descriptor and driver for it then, and not before.
>  You are right, the MIDI "paddle" board-let is different from the
> RS232 serial interface.  The MM/1 mother board talks in standard 5V
> TTL to the paddle board, which converts in and out of MIDI current
> loop.
>
>ISTR I bought it from David Graham, not Paul Ward.  Whoever it was,
> frankly admitted to me that the $50 for this little board with 6
> parts on it was to help finance other MM/1 developments.
>
>For me personally, no price was too high for MIDI on the MM/1, but
> it irked me that its connector was not the MIDI DIN smiley-face,
> but the same old DB-9 as used on the RS232.  You had to make your
> own adapter cable.  And I never did get around to wiring an *input*
> side of it.  A shame, since the MM/1 could probably have read MIDI
> and time-stamped it in real time, unlike the Coco under OS9.
>--Mike K.

That might be an interesting exersize Mike.  I had that oddball xtal
in one of my rs232 packs for a while, and was using it for midi
playback, simultainiously with the bit banger in fact from your coco
umuse3.  I'd figured out a way to send some voices out one port, and
the rest out the other.  Made for some weird stereo effects, and
since neither of my keyboards take or output velocity, helped with
the realism a bit.  El cheeepo casios.

But try as I might, I was never able to open that pack for reading and
I played the 500 monkeys scene for weeks trying to get something back
from my keyboards without generating a single interrupt or data byte.

Frankly, programming info for sacia and that chipset leaves a lot to
be desired, particularly for sacia.  If anyone has any pointers on
that which are better than the busted aciapack data in the level 2
docs, I'd sure appreciate a pointer to it as I cannot seem to get the
hardware flow controls to work, even at speeds well below the 450 cps
that rzsz can do on any machine.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M