[Coco] Re: GCC: DFLOAT / DIRECT_PAGE

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Nov 15 19:44:03 EST 2003

Theodore A. Evans wrote:
<snip>
Thanks for the research.

GCC knows about IEEE floats, and it knows two other float types from
popular pre-IEEE standard that are built into the hardware.

I do not know how much work it would be to add COCO float type, and that
  is not something that I will be pursuing from the compiler point of
view.  Since it is open source, it is fair game for anyone else though.

It looks like to make the compiler happy, I will need to figure out how
to have the 6809 manipulate a IEEE double presision float.

One thing I forgot to mention about the direct page, for some Motorola
processors, GCC uses the direct pages as banks of registers.

If I can get the direct page stuff implemented the way that I envision,
I think that everyone will be happy with the result, because all usage
patterns that I have seen reported here could be coded.

I am going to look at the Dfloat issue tonight if I get some spare time
to see if I can find out how to implement it.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only