[Coco] Drive speed incompatibilities

x0remery at dsbmail.itg.ti.com x0remery at dsbmail.itg.ti.com
Tue Nov 11 07:42:00 EST 2003

> Hello all,

Howdy.

> I recently replaced my two really old floppy drives with a single unit
> combining a newer floppy drive 0 with a new diskette drive 1...[snip]
> However, I am not getting anywhere, because the new floppy drive cannot read my
> old floppies !

If I'm reading this right, you mean you got one of those combination
drives with a 3-1/2" and 5-1/4" in a single half-height drive. Right?

That 5-1/4" drive is a 1.2 Meg drive and those will not work properly on a CoCo.
The drives are designed to spin at different speeds (among other things.)
Something like 360RPM vs. 300, istr.

You probably need to use one of those "really old" drives as CoCo drive 0
and a new 3-1/2" drive as drive 1. They sell kits (probably $5.00-10.00)
to mount a 3-1/2" drive in a 5-1/4" bay. This will include brackets and cable
adapters for power and the data cable.

Then you can use your PC to write CoCo floppies on 3-1/2" disks.

Good luck,
Bob