[Coco] Re: I need MESS help

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Mon Nov 10 11:04:00 EST 2003

John Collyer writes:

> Ok, I help myself. I finally got it to work.
>
> Here is what I did.
>
> I enabled use directdraw and I enabled use direct3d,
> after I did this it worked. However when I came back
> to the gui the use direct3d was not set anymore, but I
> still had the directx screen. I then set the use new UI
> and now I finally got it all working. I think.

MESS can use either of the following for drawing support:
1.  GDI
2.  DirectDraw
3.  Direct3D

Of these, #2 is recommented.  MESS's Direct3D stuff is a feature inherited
from MAME that is incompatible with MESS's new emulation-time UI.  Frankly I
find the Direct3D stuff to be of very questionable value; it doesn't have
many speed benefits over DirectDraw and is incompatible with the new UI.

> It seems
> that to use the PS2 mouse I had to get directx working
> first, which I did. Anyway I going to mess with it for
> awhile. Thanks anyway.

You should not need DirectX working to use the mouse.  Just be aware that if
you have the new UI running, you need to use ScrLk to enable the mouse.
This will cause the menu bar to go away (because one cannot share the mouse
between the emulation and the UI) until you hit ScrLk to disable the mouse.