[Coco] MM/1 question

Bob Devries bdevries at gil.com.au
Fri Nov 7 17:22:07 EST 2003

David said:
> What version of OS9?  I think it's 2.4 ?  There was an issue regarding
> maximum drive sizes.  IIRC, the max was _supposed_ to be 4 Gig, but a
> header definition was made a signed integer rather than unsigned so you
> only got half. the 2.9 patch was supposed to fix that, along with Y2K
> and other bugs.

Yes, however, I think this particular bug will be in the BOOT ROM. Not
something I can upgrade :-(

> But regardless, a 1 Gig _should_ work.  Have you tried booting from
> floppy and then running 'dcheck' on the drive?

Yep, that checks out OK.

What *really* annoys me (someone tell me if I'm doing it wrong) is that the
formatter completely ignores the settings in the descriptor. It must
interrogate the drive, finds it has $208818 bytes, and formats it to that.

If the formatter wont format to less than the full size of the drive, I'm
stuck with using the 20MB drive as the boot drive, and the 1BG as the data
drive. YUK! Or booting from a floppy YUK,YUK,YUK!!!

Regards, Bob Devries; Ipswich, Queensland, Australia