[Coco] MM/1 question

David dbree at duo-county.com
Fri Nov 7 07:30:02 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 11:34:25AM +1000, Bob Devries wrote:
> Are there any MM/1 owners out there who have large drives in their MM/1?

I'm not an MM/1 owner (Delmar SysV), but I have a possible suggestion.

> I'm trying to put a 1G drive in. The MM/1 recognises and formats the drive,
> I can write to it, and read from it OK. But the darned thing WON'T BOOT!
>
> I copied the OS9Boot file from my (much) smaller drive, then did the
> command:
>
> os9gen -e -q /h1fmt
>
> When I try to boot with this drive, the MM/1 goes through its usual spiel:
> Attempting to boot from floppy drive
> Attempting to boot from hard disk
> Booting from non-contigous bootfile
> Attempting to boot from ROM
>

> The drive was formatted with -c=8 (cluster size).
> Should I be partitioning the drive?

You might try that, at least as a temporary test measure.

What version of OS9?  I think it's 2.4 ?  There was an issue regarding
maximum drive sizes.  IIRC, the max was _supposed_ to be 4 Gig, but a
header definition was made a signed integer rather than unsigned so you
only got half. the 2.9 patch was supposed to fix that, along with Y2K
and other bugs.

But regardless, a 1 Gig _should_ work.  Have you tried booting from
floppy and then running 'dcheck' on the drive?

Could it be a "bios limitation"?  If you boot from floppy and then
dcheck gave a good report, then that might indicate that this was where
the problem lies.