[Coco] Re: M.E.S.S. video window acquired

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Nov 6 23:30:21 EST 2003

At 02:17 PM 11/6/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>WM_CHAR/WM_UCHAR are not recognized by MESS in emulated keyboard mode; in
>that case it uses GetAsyncKeyState() or DirectInput.

I suppose so.  Then only one mode would accept external keystrokes.  If it
ignores them, then there's really no loss or damage to your project,
anyway... just an emulation issue you would have to cure through messgui.exe.

>>Debugger for the CoCo, or the M.E.S.S. program?
>
>A debugger for the CoCo, or the Vectrex, or whatever system is being
>emulated.
>A Google Images search came up with the following screenshot; admittedly
>for MAME but the debugger is the same:
>    http://izumo.cool.ne.jp/itsumodori/images/debug.png

I am guessing that option would have to be added in later than sooner.  If
it's real easy to enable like from a simple switch, then sure.  And it
would be up to M.E.S.S. to do all of the debug functions, right?

>Use '-nodirectx' at the command line.

I've got the massive options list right here, but just haven't looked into
the switch yet.  Thanks for saving me some time. :)

Speaking of No DirectX.  I don't suggest it.  :)  It would be like running
the latest version of M.E.S.S. on a 150mhz Pentium laptop with 48 megs of
RAM.  It's a little below speed and you miss keystrokes, etc.  The Vectrex
mode is even slower.  I suggest at least 350mhz.  But without the DirectX
or quartz surface, you'd need a even faster machine.  I have yet to try the
Direct3D mode, but I do have a high-end nVidia card, so I'm looking forward
to trying it.

What I don't want to do is require anything from the user that isn't common
or standard.  Windows supports DirectX at least back to Windows 98.  I'm
sure I will put the switch in and make it optional from the IDE.