[Coco] MM/1 question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 6 21:02:02 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 20:34, Bob Devries wrote:
>Are there any MM/1 owners out there who have large drives in their
> MM/1?
>
>I'm trying to put a 1G drive in. The MM/1 recognises and formats the
> drive, I can write to it, and read from it OK. But the darned thing
> WON'T BOOT!
>
>I copied the OS9Boot file from my (much) smaller drive, then did the
>command:
>
>os9gen -e -q /h1fmt
>
>When I try to boot with this drive, the MM/1 goes through its usual
> spiel: Attempting to boot from floppy drive
>Attempting to boot from hard disk
>Booting from non-contigous bootfile
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this may be its downfall.  Unforch, I do not know enough about the os9
for the mm1 to know if it can boot from a non-contiguous bootfile.

No coco level one, level two or nitros9 can do that as the boot module
itself doesn't yet know enough about the disks file system to cope
with a fragmented bootfile.  It looks in LSN0 to get the files
location and length since it has no knowledge at that point of the
directory structure of an os9 filesystem.

I suppose the file could be moved inward to a location that would
allow it to be contiguous, and LSN0 then edited to reflect the new
location.  This might work if that os9 is similar enough to level one
or two.

>Attempting to boot from ROM
>
>As you can see, it obviously reads LSN0, but for some reason can't
> actually read the bootfile. The OS9Boot file is quite near the
> start of the drive.
>
>The drive was formatted with -c=8 (cluster size).
>Should I be partitioning the drive?
>
>Please HELP!

I hope this does help by giving one possible cause.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M