[Coco] Re: M.E.S.S. video window acquired

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Thu Nov 6 08:22:06 EST 2003

Roger Taylor writes:

> I have successfully acquired control of the running M.E.S.S. program's
> video window.  This means I can resize it, position it anywhere, alter
> it's z-order, make it stay on top, to name a few evil tricks.  I plan to
> make it appear to be part of the IDE's own main window at times. This
> means you'll be able to write CoCo software on part of the screen and
> watch it appear running in the video port somewhere else on the screen.
> Can somebody say, "Are we having fun yet?"   :)

Hmmm this sounds intriguing.  Do you have any screenshots?

If you're able to do this without any actions on MESS's part, I wonder what
we could do if we collaborated?

It's also worth noting that MESS has a builtin full featured debugger that
is only enabled when compiled in debug mode.  I've always toyed with the
idea of enabling the debugger in release builds, but have always leaned
against it because the debugger was made by the MAME people for their own
use while developing MAME, and while being very functional, it is also a bit
ugly.  Perhaps these hooks could be exploited to create debugger integration
for your IDE?