[Coco] Re: From virtual disk to real disk

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Wed Nov 5 08:40:00 EST 2003

John E. Malmberg writes:

> A test on Windows NT 4.0 revealed that from a non-privileged user account
> it could read COCO disks.  This should have the same protection as XP and
> 2000.
>
> What did not work was the MS-DOS file system calls.
>
> So using the documented BIOS calls from the Microsoft C library should
> work to access a previously formatted COCO disk.

I do not know about WinNT 4, but using the Windows APIs that MSDN explicitly
states are intended to support 5 1/4 drives simply fail on Win2000.  The
error code is not a permission error, just a simple know-nothing failure.

My bet is that this is a bug, plain and simple, and our friends in Redmond
are just not bothering to fix it because to be fair, 5 1/4 drives do not
matter in the grand scheme of things.