[Coco] CoCo gcc project

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Nov 4 01:28:00 EST 2003

At 05:00 PM 11/3/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm not sure if there would be a need for PIC code for RSDOS.  Where
>would that be needful?

A BASIC program that could load ML programs at the end of the BASIC code,
so as not to overwrite the BASIC code.  It's not a common practice over
here, but that's one use.

>As far as non-PIC code for L2, I realize that it does work for a program
>that is the only one in the address space, and most programs that would
>be compiled with a C compiler would normally be pretty large, thus not
>merged with others, but if you had a non-PIC program and merged it with
>another, then wouldn't that break, if it wasn't the first program in the
>group?

I wrote many demo OS-9 L2 programs using RMA and really never used
position-independent code, because you get the whole 64k address space
(more/less) to yourself.

PIC has it's uses, but some people insist on this type of slower code for
everything they do, even for programs that can only run at a certain base
address/origin.  Once people get set in their ways, it's impossible to
change them.  :)