[Coco] Re: CoCo gcc project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Nov 3 21:58:06 EST 2003

Both parts that I quoted were base price for a single part. Most price breaks come
after the first 25 parts and At 1000 lot price the breaks are better. I did not consider
quantitiy pricing and only one vendor. The MC68882-25 was quoted. The 16Mhz
part will be cheaper yes. The FPGA part quoted was the XC2S150-5PQ208C. 300K
gates parts are about $10 more. This was for reference only. As to the exact size of
the FPGA would be determined by how efficient the code is written and what
functions are implemented.

Price wise there is not a whole lot of differences. The main advantage that an FPGA
has is that the part can be tailored to interface better to the Mc6x09E than the
MC68882.

I am wondering though about Motorola semiconductor lines. WIth the eventual
spinoff of the semiconductor division as a company of its own with a tracking stock,
will the new company look at the portfolio and make massive changes? Maybe they
will see some of the the 68K product line as end of life. The MC68881/2 have been
around since that early 80's.

james