[Coco] Re: CoCo gcc project

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Nov 3 09:26:00 EST 2003

Interfacing to the MC68882 would be easier. Costwise both approaches are about
the same. The FPGA maybe a slight bit cheaper depending on which one and how
big it needs to be. A quick price comparison:

Digikey has the MC68882 for $52 and the Xilinx Spartan II with 150,000 gates is
$28. The software to put in the FPGA is free and the software to program the FPGA
is free. PCB costs for either approach is about the same. Other support ICs will add
some more cost, maybe another $5.

One advantage the FPGA has is that it is configurable to specific needs. It can be
as small as we want or as large as we want. It can be configured to work directly
with the 6809.

james