[Coco] CoCo gcc project

tim lindner tlindner at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 2 12:36:00 EST 2003

Neil Morrison <neilsmorr at hotpop.com> wrote:

> ISTR that you could buy a math library in a rom chip for some of these,
> 6800 or 6809 IIRC. But I know of no FPU for them.

Back when I was contemplating contributing the the GCC port for the
CoCo, I though this chip would make a great library for the project.

Then a few months later, on the FuFu list, Joel Setton offered to send
anyone asking a CD-ROM containing tons of information regarding that
chip.

Here is was I got:

**************************************
MC6839 Archive CD-ROM

---------------------

This CD contains all the information which I could consolidate on the
Motorola MC6839 Floating-point ROM. If you are interested in
floating-point computing on the 6809, all you need is on this CD:

* The root directory contains the 6839 data sheet and manual, each of
themin both Microsoft Word and PDF formats.

* The "Binary Code" directory contains two images of the ROM, one in
Motorola S1-S9 format, and one in the Flex .BIN format. As explained in
the documents, this code is position-independent and can run at any
location in memory.

* The "Data Sheet" directory contains scanned graphic files of the data
sheet.

* The "Manual Pages" directory contains scanned graphic files of the
manual.

* The "source code" directory contains the assembler source files, which
were originally published by Motorola.

I think this code would be very useful for the GCC/CoCo project. But in
order to distribute licenses will need to be resolved.

--
tim lindner
tlindner at ix.netcom.com                                            Bright