cygwin - (was: Re: [Coco] CoCo gcc project)

David dbree at duo-county.com
Sat Nov 1 14:30:05 EST 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 11:18:42AM -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> James Dessart wrote:

> >You can pick which you prefer, I run on Mac OS X.  For Win32, you'll need
> >Cygwin.  Not sure where to find it, or how to install it, though.
>
> That is actually harder to find than it should be.  Every mirror I
> checked for cygwin was blank last month.
>
> A poster on the rsync mailing list gave me this URL where I found enough
>  of cygwin to get rsync running.
>
> I do not know if it is enough for gcc.

Would another option be mingw/msys?  IIUC, mingw is an offshoot from
cygwin, but they are an entirely different operating mode.  Again, my
understanding of really what these systems are all about, but it's my
understanding that programs compiled under cygwin must run under
cygwin(no?), and programs compiled under msys can be run straight from a
DOS shell.  I'm not sure about my statement about cygwin, but I have
msys installed on my win98 partition and I compiled os9disasm under
mingw and it ran seemingly correctly in a DOS window.

You might give mingw a try (www.mingw.org(or com?)) which is a link to
sourceforge.  both these systems can exist on the same system, an can
even be used in conjunction with one another.