[Coco] Re: gcc-coco revisited

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Nov 1 10:18:00 EST 2003

Theodore A. Evans wrote:
> On 10/31/03, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>>Also for the education of those that are used to traditional compilers,
>>GCC is a bit different.
>>
>>GCC is a shell that calls/chains the other programs in sequence to produce
>>the expected results. The preprocessor program is typically separate from
>>the complier, followed by an optimizer program, followed by the assember
>>program, and finally a linker program.
>
> That *is* the way that traditional C compilers work.  Microware C
> works that way as does pretty much every C compiler I have ever used.

On almost every platform that I have programed C regularly on, there is
one complier image that takes the source module and produces an object
module.  I can usually request the various intermediate outputs.

I have a few commercial C complilers for Microsoft Windows, and they
work that way.

Of course smaller microprocessor systems tend to chain programs because
of memory constraints.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only