[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Nov 1 04:44:00 EST 2003

On Saturday 01 November 2003 02:30, Roger Taylor wrote:
>>Chuckle...  But you know, on the coco list, you cannot trigger on
>>"sex" as thats a legit assembly nemonic name.  Sign EXtend though,
>>while a usable command, is a poor substitute for the real thing. :)
>
>SEX:            A <- B
>
>It gets even better with the 6309.  There's a 16-bit to 32-bit
> extend!
>
>SEXW:   A B <- E F
>The result is register Q (A B E F).  Register Q is a very powerful
> one, indeed.

Yes, and the 6309 has the DIV command that was discussed a few
messages back, giving you a 16 bit result and a 16 bit remainder from
a 16 bit into 32 bit preload.  Worst case clocks was 39 IIRC.  Same
thing on a Z-80 was nearly .8k of code and 2800 clocks, I know, I
used that one in a project once.  The MUL wasn't much better, 1800
some clocks for that.  Elegant code for a Z-80, but butt ugly code
when compared to even the 6809's equ for the same job.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M