[Coco] RE: Nick's Poll

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Fri Nov 28 19:14:00 EST 2003

One of the biggest things I do with the Coco is play games. I've heard a
lot of great suggestions out there about stuff we'd like to see done.

A top-notch version of Defender would be cool. The suggestion of a car
racing game based on the Gloom-3D engine sounds cool too. My vote still
would be for some type of real-time strategy game though, since that's
never been done on the Coco before. Someone suggested a writing game
engine and that sounds cool too.

As far as a central Coco website goes, I think Roger is doing an
excellent job with Coco3.com. That site I think can become everything
you're looking for, Nick.

As far as a GUI for RS-DOS goes, there are already a couple of them out
there. I own a copy of Window Master. I've tried Bob Emery's "Color
F.O.G." and it seems pretty cool. I'm supporting his effort.

Multi-Vue was updated a few years ago, I think the most recent version
was 1.26 if I'm not mistaken. It performs much faster and more capable
than the original Radio Shack version and I love it and use it all the
time. Still, I'd like to see someone do a major update of it. There are
so many features and functions I'd like to see added to Multi-Vue. I'm
sorry that I don't really know Assembly Language very well at all, so I'm
not in a position yet to do it myself.

I would support anyone who decides to write a game or any other
application for the Coco. I would buy any new games that anyone offered.
However, considering how relatively small the Coco community is these
days, don't expect to make much money writing games for the Coco. By all
means do it. You would have my support for what it's worth. But do it
because you enjoy it and you love the challenge and you love your Coco.

I am actively writing programs for the Coco (mostly in Basic09), and any
I finish I will definitely make available to the Coco community. I don't
expect to make one thin dime off them though.

Now that I think of it, I have "Aandark III" half-written, which I
started back in the late-'80's. It's a graphical adventure game for the
Coco3. Hey Nick, if you write a new game, I'll finish Aandark III. Deal?

Fred Provoncha
Salt Lake City, UT