[Coco] Transfering files from COCO to other platforms.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Nov 28 13:18:00 EST 2003

It appears that the API for setting the floppy disk to 256 sectors has
been stripped from Windows 2000, and it has been stripped from the
Visual C++ compiler as well.

It annoys me because I basically wasted two days trying to get this to
build, and I have searched the web.

So I can not even build it unless I install an older compiler, and that
requires resurecting the computer with the 5.25 in floppy.

So it looks like for the short term I will be transfering floppies on a
Windows 95 box using the Retrieve program.

It looks to me that the most reliable future method of transfering files
from a COCO to a PC will be to use and IDE adapter like the Glenside, or
future SuperIDE / Superboards from Cloud 9.

Then using the CompactFlash adapter from Cloud-9 and a Compact Flash USB
reader transfer the files.

This will require a different set of transfer programs.  Depending on
what OS was used to write to the CompactFlash media, it may have written
512 byte sectors or written only 256 bytes of each 512 byte sector.

Of course until I get an IDE controller on my COCO I will not be able to
really test such a program.

But those of you who have not looked at yesterdays flyers should note
that CompUSA has a USB CompactFlash Reader/Writer for free.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only