[Coco] OS-9 "C" IDE SOURCE debugging.

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sat Nov 8 16:50:00 EST 2003

Hi,

I suspect that anyone who has used a current IDE will slight our CoCo
efforts until SOURCE debugging is working well. Speaking for myself, I am
very spoiled.

This requires code in a Compiler to save the symbol table and locations
where each line of source is in the program.

A optimizer must be turned off due to its rearranging of the instructions.

Assemblers also have to save the symbol table and locations where each line
of source is in the program.

The linker needs to save its work as to where each module is in the
executable is located.

So now a IDE has what it needs to do source debugging.

I hope that we will at least discuss the details of the complete system so
that as parts are being worked on the necessary information will be saved.

Better than trying to add it in later.

I do not think that this very hard to do, there is a FREE complete IDE that
is a good model for our efforts at the "C" level from Borland.

While the target is a 8086, if you consider "C" to be your target as I do
then you can ignore most of the 8086 and MSDos issues.

I have some ideas and a start on a library to target CoCo OS-9. With this
you could do source level debugging for OS-9 "C" on the CoCo right NOW.

http://community.borland.com/museum

Antique Software Turbo C version 2.01
http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,20841,00.html

To get the file you have to sign up for Borlands Developer Network.

As this is a pain, will somebody tell where I can place a copy ( [Color
Computer] files section? )

--

Stephen H. Fischer <sfischer1 at mindspring.com>

---------------------------------------

"Roger Taylor" <rtaylor-PxLtF3lD1iAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote in

message news:5.1.0.14.0.20031107121029.01d04338 at pop.bayou.com...

> At 08:05 AM 11/7/2003 -0500, you wrote:

> >Roger Taylor writes:

> >>I am guessing that option would have to be added in later than sooner.

> >>If it's real easy to enable like from a simple switch, then sure. And it

> >>would be up to M.E.S.S. to do all of the debug functions, right?

> >The switch is in already in there in debug builds; it is -debug.

> >Another possibility would be to add a set of windows messages that allow

> >an external app to intercept and implement the debugger

> >functionality. Imagine debugging an app in your IDE, and using the same

> >windows both to edit and to step through code like you can in most IDEs
today.

> Step through the source code or the machine code? Also, I haven't seen

> this M.E.S.S. debug mode, so I don't quite follow how an external app
could