[Coco] Re: Any reason to put a 6309 in a Coco2?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 31 14:40:53 EST 2003

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 14:29, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
>Gene
>
>I forgot about that. If your software is counting cycles for delays
> and stuff like that, then there will be issues. Especially if you
> are marking time from an event to trigger another.
>
>james

I suppose it could be a problem.  My problem is that I tend to think
in terms of an os9 app, and any os9 app that times by cycle count is
IMO hopelessly broken, it should be calling a sleep for the duration
of the delay needed.  Of course that would depend on how much delay
since the maximum of the minimum would be one tick, or 1/60th second.

One could also setup an SWI to handle the event, and then sleep till
the SWI occurred.  That of course would take a hardware line.  The
biggest problem is the relative lack of really good instructs to
setup the SWI.  ISTR there are or was an article in the Rainbow quite
some time ago.

For rsdos stuff, because there wasn't a clock, I'd imagine that lots
of stuff was handled by busy waiting and counting down.  Ugly, but...