[Coco] Coco's Origin Date

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 19:30:57 EST 2003

On Sunday 28 December 2003 10:47 pm, Steve Ostrom wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone knows the date when the first announcement
> of the Coco was made, the date when the first real Tandy
> advertisements for the Coco were published and where, and the date
> when the first Coco was sold retail.
>
> I was able to track down an early official Tandy announcement,
> published in the September 1980 issue of "80 Microcomputing".  Ed
> Juge, in his "Inside 80" column, writes, "I'm writing this prior to
> any
> announcements; bear this in mind when I say, we are about to announce
> our new TRS-80 Color Computer!"  He goes on to describe the early
> version of the Coco in good detail.  Since this was published in the
> September issue, which must have gone to press early in August, I
> figured some other publication may have had an earlier announcement,
> or maybe even a Radio Shack outlet broke the news before this.
>
> If anyone else has any other documented information, please let me
> know.  I'd be interested in hearing about other rumors and official
> announcements.

IIRC July 30 or 31, 1980 was the announcement (along with the Model 3,
the Pocket Computer 1 and the Vidtex terminal).  Dunno exactly when
they hit the stores or where and when the first was sold, I didn't
start to work for the RSCC until November 2nd, 1980.  Couple of folks
on comp.sys.tandy have far more knowledge (and way less CRAFT virus)
than I do.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

The Yen Buddhists are the richest religious sect in the universe.  They
hold that the accumulation of money is a great evil and burden to the
soul.  They therefore, regardless of personal hazard, see it as their
unpleasant duty to acquire as much as possible in order to reduce the
risk to innocent people.           -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_