[Coco] Re: PayPal & Ebay guns

ostro011 ostro011 at umn.edu
Tue Dec 30 18:10:47 EST 2003

On 30 Dec 2003, farna at att.net wrote:
> > I've used PayPal just about since they started. All the hype about
PayPal
> being bad is just so much BS. Is it possible to get scammed through
PayPal?
> Of course. That hasn't shut e-bay down, and you can get scammed there
too. Or

> through phone slales or any other medium. PayPal was able to recover $18
on a

> $125 loss I had once from a dealer who didn't complete a transaction (I
never

> received product). I'm sure the money came from someone who paid him
before
> he had a chance to remove the money, and they may have lost too though.
> That's unfortunate, but the account was frozen because of the complaint
and
> they did what they could. It happens sometimes. Out of nearly 100 e-
> bay/PayPal transactions that's the only loss I've had.

It looks like this list is very polarized as far as PayPal goes.  About
half hate it and the other half use it all the time and think it's great.
Maybe it just takes one bad incident to turn one's opinion, or maybe PayPal
is just a convenient place to put the blame when a scam occurs.

I've made over 400 eBay purchases so far during the past three years
without one scam or lost penny due to PayPal, plus I've used it to buy
items from some of the people on this list.  I would hate to have had to
make all those purchases with checks or money orders.  My guess is that in
general those who like PayPal are frequent buyers and those that dislike
PayPal buy very infrequently.

Thanks much for all of your opinions.

-- Steve --