[Coco] Re: virtual disk formats (was: Sock Master Demos)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Dec 30 17:05:14 EST 2003

Willard Goosey wrote:

> DMK was created, AFAIK, for the model III/4 emulators.  It also stores
> the inter-sector-gap headers and data.  This was necessary because
> TRS-DOS insists on storing file system data there. :-(  For the CoCo,
> you'd only need it, I would think, for really perverse copy-protected
> disks.

According to the technical manuals for the TRS-80, the only thing
special is that they set the "DAM" or Deleted Address Mark on the
sectors of the track that the directory is on.

That is enough to prevent the bios routines of a PC from reading the
floppies.

Later versions of LDOS apparently do not have that limitation.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only