[Coco] Any reason to put a 6309 in a Coco2?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Dec 30 13:37:28 EST 2003

John

Unless you are writing machine language programs that uses the chip in Hitachi
mode, its increased registers and instructin set, then no there is no real
advantage in a CoCo2 or even a Coco3. It is like having two processors in one.

In Motorola mode the chip looks, acts, and runs like a MC68x09E.

The HD63x09E makes it presence felt when you use a Coco3 and the versions of
OS9
that take advantage of the increased registers and instructions that Hitachi put
in.

As for the Coco3 is 99.9% backward compatible. Only Semigarphics S4 is
supported. Semigraphics S8,S12, and S24 are not. THe GIME chip does not fully
implement all the SAM functions. They are not totally lost but are done better
in the newer higher resolution graphics capability of the Coco3. Outside that
all your Coco standard off the shelf software should run normally. Your own
personal software may need tailoring if you use any of the unsupported
semigarphic modes.

james