[Coco] Re: Wikipedia in trouble

Steve Ostrom Steven.M.Ostrom-1 at tc.umn.edu
Mon Dec 29 22:11:12 EST 2003

Roger Taylor wrote:

> At 05:15 PM 12/29/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>

>> Steve Ostrom wrote:
>>
>>> I agree.  I've used PayPal flawlessly for two or three years now.
>>> It has been a great tool, especially when transferring money to our
>>> friends across the pond or when you don't want to wait 7-10 days for
>>> your check to clear.  I think you'll find that at least 80% of the
>>> people selling on eBay use that as their primary method of
>>> collection.  I've found no negatives to using PayPal yet.  I think
>>> Gene voiced some strong objections to PayPal and I'd be interested
>>> in hearing the opinions of any others using it.
>>

> Gene's comment about PayPal was short, and not really strong.  Doesn't
> make a difference.  PayPal is not going away.  They'll just keep on
> merging until they are 100 times bigger than they are today.  The
> PayPal/ebay merging was a blessing, but along with that comes more
> potential victims for scam artists.  Keep in mind that a scam artist
> doesn't need PayPal to be any more or less secure.  They don't even
> need PayPal.  If they pose as another person and use stolen credit
> cards, etc. nothing can stop them.  There was a very long article on
> MSN that explained what some foreigners (in Russia) have been doing
> using PayPal and ebay to bring mega dollars and products right to
> their front door over there before somebody caught on.  While some
> would say, "gullible Americans"... it's also Americans doing it to
> foreigners, so think again.
>
> Since PayPal/ebay has so many users, it's a walk in the park for the
> average scammer.  Any time you have this many people handing money and
> products to each other all day long, every day, it becomes very easy
> for this kind of stuff to occur.  Your local banks go through the same
> crap.  It's not just PayPal, or just because PayPal is a growing
> business.
>

> ----------
> Roger Taylor

Roger, I agree about the scammers.  They are all over the place and a
person needs to be on guard all the time.  I received one of the PayPal
scams about a year ago, asking me to click on a hyperlink and give them
some confidential data.  I was wary right away, then I noticed that they
identified themselves as www.PayPa1.com instead of www.PayPal.com.  I
caught the substitution of the "one" for the "ell".  I decided to play
along, risking a possible virus attack, just to see what would happen,
although I did update my virus signatures before I tried it.  Clicking
on the hyperlink brought me to a well-done PayPal-like site, but the
address that I was redirected to was some weird address.  I backed out
right away with no harm done.  We Windows users are especially
vulnerable to this crap, but I won't consider a Mac and don't have the
time to mess with Linux, even though it would be a lot of fun.

By the way, can I transfer PayPal funds to you for a copy of Portal?
(<<snicker>> OK, I put this question here as a bit of levity, but will
buy a copy from you as soon as you think it is stable.  I don't even
have a problem with sending you the funds now, but I would want to wait
a bit for the software, if that's OK.)

-- Steve --