[Coco] embeddedcoco

peak at mail.polarcomm.com peak at mail.polarcomm.com
Sun Dec 28 14:03:21 EST 2003

6829MMU
Thanks to both James and Paul for info about that chip.
In the case that we would not be running an operating system
which could/would "allocate" memory blocks it might be
simpler to just use soft switches.

For instance, In james's application of a telescope
controller it seems to me that he would need a large amount
of memory to store coordinates. I do not know what form
these "coordinates" would have but "The Heavens" are large!!!
One soft switch could be used for Pseudo address lines.
Another could be used for Bank Enable signals.
Using both methods together, the fake address lines (A15-A22)
together with the real address lines will address an 8MB
block and then using 8 enable lines gives 8 times 8mb for
64Mb of memory. I have already "Drawn-Up" a circuit like this
but without the memory chips/card.
It seems to me that it would not be difficult to construct a
software "MAT" -Memory Allocation Table- to keep track of
things.

Note: I am not familiar with memory cards/chip in 8MB units
except for Dynamic Rams SIMM's. Perhaps there is a flash
memory card that could be connected though. Just what is
inside that 8MB memory card that plugs into my sons Play
Station game??
Eric