[Coco] So far OT I'm in the Twilight Zone (Was: Republishing Magazines)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 28 11:44:55 EST 2003

Correction

The Dead Sea scrolls by default are property of the Jordanian Office of Antiquities.
When found, that area was TransJordan. The origianl 7 scrolls are claimed by
Jordan. Part of the reason translation started so slow was who translated them had
to be settled before work could begin. Currently the Office of Antiquities of Israel
now controls digs and archeaological expeditions in the region.

There is no great mysteries or secret meanings or what ever. If anything there are
more questions as to who the Essenes were and the purpose of Qumran
community. Some of the scrolls gives us a better understanding of the greater
diversity of Judiahism in the period between 200 BCE and 100 CE. Most of the
completed material has now been copied onto CDs and have been available to
researchers for over a decade now. I believe that a set of CDs are available for
purchase or was to be made available for purchase in 2002.

There is still many fragmanets and parrtial scrolls that still need piecign together like
a jigsaw puzzle. In all there are maybe twenty scrolls of any significant religious
benefit. The prize of the collection was the Isaiah Scroll. Believe to have been
pinned around 200 BCE,  is the oldest copy of the the Book of Isaiah known. It is a
near complete and exact copy of a more modern Massoretic copy dating from about
400 CE.

james