[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] (unknown)

Jan Vanden Bossche jan80 at pi.be
Sun Dec 28 09:39:44 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ask Me" <dodge972 at yahoo.com>
To: <ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 28 December 2003 03:07
Subject: [Color Computer] (unknown)

> i have a qestion,
> I used to have a color computer 2 long time ago and had everything
> for it then sold it probably back in 1993 for some dumb reason
>
> Is it possoble to run the software on a older computer I think a 286
> maybe a 386  instead of running the emulations, due to they don't
> operate the floppy and can't really do much with the emulations

Running the programs native on a 286 or 386 is not possible, because the
central processing unit just isn't the same, not even compatible. So you
ALWAYS need an emulator.

Now, you can reduce the overhead of the supporting system, by choosing the
correct CPU/Operating System-combination. If you run Windows 98 on a i486,
your emulator will run (probably) slower as when you run plain DOS on a 386.
Why ? Because the overhead of the operating system (in this case Windows 98
vs. DOS) The more there is, the less the computer has time to run the
emulataor-and-program you want to.

To come to your question: yes you can run your programs on a 386, but you
still need DOS (PC- MS- DR- Open-DOS) and an emulator.

Basically, all advances is computer speed are counteracted by the bulkiness
of the new OS.

> thank you
>
> and if so How do i convert .dsk images to istall on this computer

AFAIK, once you have an emulator running, it can read your DSK-files as
emulated disks. No need to convert them.

But - and I think THAT was your question - you CAN'T run a 286 PC as if it
were a Coco.

Jan

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/CFFolB/TM