[Coco] Republishing Magazines

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Dec 27 21:35:57 EST 2003

The idea of intelectaul property was born out of the changing ideas from the
invention of movable type and the printing press. We moved from a bardic system
to a society that finally started to write down the tales of the spoken word. While
many of the legends and stories of old were written down, they were in but limited
texts and not widely dispersed throughout Europe. Other societies had books but
still all were hand copied and with great care. All required time to reproduce.

For many millenniums the thought of plagarism and the ownership of the written
word was considerably different from modern times. Often it was in the highest
honor to write and ascribe your work in the name of your mentor and teacher. Much
of the current Christian Bible is written in that way. The five books of the Torah are
ascribed to Moses yet clearly there are five disticnt styles of writting within the
Torah. The book of Isaiah has three distinct styles. It was when books could be
turned out in weeks instead of years that it became realizable that one can profit on
the writing of books. Prior to the press only a few of the wealthy and the clergy read
books. Even King John of England was illiterate when he signed his "X" on the
Magna Carta.

The press brought a revelation that more needed to read in order for profit from the
new invention. It brought about education for the masses. They then could now read
the works of the ancient authors and the new authors that were created with modern
books.

james