[Coco] Disk EDTASM & text files

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Dec 27 02:59:23 EST 2003

>Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 05:15:46 -0500
>From: Robert Gault <robert.gault at worldnet.att.net>

>In my experience, DECB always sets the second 16 bytes of a directory
>entry to $00s. The DOS that comes with Disk EDTASM+ adds record lengths.

Yeah, I'd noticed that the unused half of the directory entry was
usually zeroed out.  It wasn't until I was testing my program to set
the record length that I noticed Simply Better left the bytes as $FF.
Then I said, "Oh, that's what the problem is." :-)

>The only time I have consistently had problems with "bad" record lengths
>is when PORT.EXE is used to move files from the PC to a .dsk image. This
>program never changes the second 16 bytes but leaves them as found. In
>most cases, that means all $FFs.

Besides Color TRS-DOS (ha!) what else cares?  I can't think of
anything else having problems with my text files.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko