[Coco] talk funny

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Dec 25 16:15:28 EST 2003

At 04:14 PM 12/23/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm from the upper mid-west so I might be a bit biased, but I seem to
>remember that many national newscasters in the US need special training to
>talk "mid-western", which seems to be some sort of standard for
>broadcasting.  Does this mean that we in Minnesota are sort of a melting
>pot of accents?  I know we have some funny expressions ("you betcha",
>"pop" instead of soda, "hot dish" for that hot mixture of food served in
>one pan", etc.).  How would you non-Minnesotans describe our accent?

We are aware that "pop" is used up North so that's just one out of a
thousand or more words that sets "ya'll" off.  :)    Down here you hear
"soda" or "soda pop", or even the term "Coke" meant to describe all soda
brands.  "Get me a coke while you're in there..."  Any brand can usually
come back, but I wouldn't second guess just anybody.   We use "you betcha"
all the time.  A lot of slang from the South is used up North, and vice-versa.

Watch the movie "Bruce Allmighty" and notice that Bruce's girlfriend says "
idn't it? " when she thinks he is proposing in the restaurant.  Everybody
takes shortcuts in their speech, not just Southerners.  I think we even
invented, " idn't " to mean "isn't ".  I have no clue.

Also, a "hot dish" down here is exactly that.. a hot dish.  In other words,
don't touch it or you'll burn your hand.  :)