[Coco] quota : scans of old magazines

Ward Griffiths wdg3rd at comcast.net
Thu Dec 25 15:36:34 EST 2003

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 09:02 am, LM wrote:
> "John Guin" wrote:
> >This thread forces an issue I was going to raise in a few weeks.  I
> > plan
>
> on
>
> >using my scanner to scan my set of Color Computer Magazines and Hot
> > Coco magazines to PDF files.  Mostly I'm doing this for myself -
> > the paper and staples holding these issues together aren't going to
> > last much longer,
>
> and I
>
> >would like a more permanent method of storing them.
>
> Doesn't that take quite a bit of time to scan in all those pages
> or have you found a quick way to do it?  I've been scanning
> some public domain sheet music recently and it seems like it
> takes forever and I'm just doing some of the songs.

Takes a ton of time.  I'm presently scanning many years of "American
Mercury" and it takes for bloody ever.  (I think Dennis and _maybe_
half a dozen other subscribers to this list will recognize the
reference, but I won't count on it -- amazing how few geeks are
libertarians and how few libertarians are geeks).

> Is there any possibility of copying the material to CD and
> making CD copies available for people who already own the issues?
> Would love to have electronic copies of some of my older
> magazines as they're starting to bother my allergies when I come
> in contact with them.

After it gets scanned to HD, the leisure time eventually has to come
around to move those files to a .iso and then burn it to a CD.
Scanning straight to a CD don't work unless you have lots and lots of
money, plus people to retry the project when it (inevitably) fails.
You _can't_ record and copy straight to CD.  Tried it, still have the
coasters under beer glasses.  Scan.  Organize.  Build ISO.  Burn CD.
Can't be competently done with less steps and should probably take a
couple more.
Ward Griffiths				wdg3rd at comcast.net

The Yen Buddhists are the richest religious sect in the universe.  They
hold that the accumulation of money is a great evil and burden to the
soul.  They therefore, regardless of personal hazard, see it as their
unpleasant duty to acquire as much as possible in order to reduce the
risk to innocent people.           -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_