virtual disk formats Re: [Coco] Sock Master Demos

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Wed Dec 24 00:44:25 EST 2003

>Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:16:07 -0800 (PST)
>From: <arikboke at yahoo.com>

>The actual usage seems to vary, with RSDOS having to be replaced by one of the
>following: "coco_jvc_rsdos", "coco_os9_rsdos", "coco_vdk_rsdos", or
>"coco_dmk_rsdos".
>
>Thus far, I have only used "coco_jvc_rsdos" because the other formats seem to
>create errors.  Could this be the source of my file corruptions?  Do I have to
>use a different virtual disk format?  I'd appreciate if you could tell me what
>are the differences between them, and when to use which (although so far only
>the JVC format seems to work for me).  Thanks.

JVC is a sector-by-sector disk dump of the *data* parts of the disk,
IE the 256 bytes of each sector that are normally used.

DMK was created, AFAIK, for the model III/4 emulators.  It also stores
the inter-sector-gap headers and data.  This was necessary because
TRS-DOS insists on storing file system data there. :-(  For the CoCo,
you'd only need it, I would think, for really perverse copy-protected
disks.

I've no clue about VDK.

>Sincerely,
>David