[Coco] talk funny

Steve Ostrom Steven.M.Ostrom-1 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Dec 23 17:14:35 EST 2003

I'm from the upper mid-west so I might be a bit biased, but I seem to
remember that many national newscasters in the US need special training
to talk "mid-western", which seems to be some sort of standard for
broadcasting.  Does this mean that we in Minnesota are sort of a melting
pot of accents?  I know we have some funny expressions ("you betcha",
"pop" instead of soda, "hot dish" for that hot mixture of food served in
one pan", etc.).  How would you non-Minnesotans describe our accent?

On a second note, reviving the discussion of Coco / PC file transfer,
how difficult would it be to connect an external 5.25" drive to an old
IBM laptop running MSDOS or Windows 3.1 ?  Newer PC's seem to like 3.5"
drives only, and this might be a convenient way to make transfers.
Mark, without taking you away from your more pressing Coco projects, is
this something you can do easily?  The 5.25" drive would need a cable
and a power supply I guess.

Happy Holiday, everybody !!

-- Steve --