[Coco] Louisiana

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Dec 23 02:10:38 EST 2003

At 09:34 PM 12/22/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Actually the Outback Steakhouse has noting whatsoever to do with
>Australia except as a theme. Even the company itself says it has "a
>casual atmosphere suggestive of the Australian Outback". See
>http://www.aussieinamerica.com/food/outback.htm for a real Aussie's
>view of it. Amongst his comments: "Aussies, you have been warned.
>The Outback Steakhouse is in the business of selling American food to
>Americans, and not Australian food to homesick Aussies.  To complain
>that it doesn't offer authentic Australian food is to miss the point,
>akin to complaining that the Rainforest Cafe is nothing like a jaunt
>through the Amazon."

This is exactly what I suspected.  Hardly anything is real anymore.
We're quite used to not getting what the ads say.  :)

>I've never heard their commercials but I suspect they're enough to
>make a wallaby laugh, unless of course they hire real Aussies - and
>let then write the stuff. BTW, FWIW, no Aussie would say, "Throw
>another shrimp on the barbie". The term there is prawn, not shrimp.

The ad spokesman is clearly an Australian.
Reminds me of movie subtitles meant to help us understand what a foreigner
is saying.

Oh... and what about the old Crocodile Dundee movies?  We loved those
movies but the image was probably all wrong.  I dunno.

Roger Taylor