[Coco] Y2K fixes (comment on hysteria)

Mark Raphael mark.raphael at eds.com
Mon Dec 22 12:09:18 EST 2003

I worked on a few corporate systems in 1998 and 1999 getting ready for Y2K.
One of the major problems we had to fix was when a date value is subtracted
from another date value to find the number of days, months, and/or years.
between the two dates.  Remember, for the most part, older legacy systems
previously only stored the last 1 or 2 digits of the year number. Before
year 2000, it was no sweat ie. 99 - 98 = 1 year.  But look what happens in
year 2000: 00 - 99 = -99 years.  Has quite an impact when you are trying to
compute compounded interest, late charges, etc.

Now before everyone starts in on "well, that's what happens when you have
1950's short-sighted management who didn't think that these systems and data
might be around for a long time", I read an article shortly after Y2K that
said that, in fact, it would have cost more to store the 4-digit years for
40-50 years leading up to 2000 (remember, storage used to be quite
expensive) that it did to remediate all the systems that needed fixing.

The short and skinny is that Y2K didn't happen because talented programmers
like myself fixed the problem in time.

Mark Raphael

Message: 1