[Coco] M.E.S.S. Printing

David Hazelton davehazelton at access-4-free.com
Sun Dec 21 00:38:31 EST 2003

I thought the problem was getting CoCo to print graphics from MESS
emulation to an actual printer?

Under MESS I would think you would want to print to a  file with some
common CoCo printer and the convert it to a Postscript file.

Under Linux/Unix send it to CUPS, which if needed will use Ghostscript

Under Windows, open it and print it using Ghostscript to system printer.

On a Macintosh, I suppose there is Ghostscript for it,  Most of the
Macintosh network printers I used were postscript.

My solution for print on my Macintoshes:
I don't have a printer on my Macintoshes, the only color printer I have
is on my wife's W98 machine.  So to print in color from the Mac, I have
my Linux box setup a netatalk printer, and use a generic Postscript
driver to talk to it.  It sends it through CUPS and Ghostscript
converting and printing it to a Lexmark Z22 network printer which
happens to be shared on my wifes machine using SAMBA.   I print, go down
stairs, load paper, turn on printer and in a second or two print the job
comes out.  For non-color prints, I have a Epson 5000 coming off a Axis
print server which from the Mac goes down a the same path to the Linux
box, CUPS and whatever filters it needs to print to the network printer.
  This is down 2 flights of stairs, though.  I don't do this much, since
Inkjet is more crisp than the old Epson.  But it is great for rough copies.
This is how I got both my Performa 550 and my PM7600/132 printing.  I
just put a USB port on the PM7600 and stole my wife's printer (for a
test) Under 9.22 I can say, it maybe worth buying another $30 Lexmark
Z22 for the Macintosh, it ran a lot slicker than the old way :)

~David Hazelton