[Coco] GIF

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Dec 20 00:39:09 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/19/03 2:55:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rtaylor at bayou.com writes:

> I will be glad to give a tutorial on how to decode or encode GIFs so I can
>  get my mind of these crazy web server issues.
>  The only part of the file that is complex is the LZW algorithm, and even
it
>  is quite simple once you visualize how it works.

Roger, the LZW I could sort of figure out.  But what I meant is that the doc
you forwarded to me did not tell exactly how the bits were packed, so I could
not use it as a basis for writing a program to decode GIF.

Anyway, I suspect that BMP would be a better place to start.

What I really need is some sort of RLE (Run-Length Encoding) which is most
efficient for black-and-white music scores.  Thanks, Mike K.