Flamage Re: [Coco] Nitros9 3.2.0 6809L2 on real hardware

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 19:55:51 EST 2003

Robert Gault wrote:

> Ray Watts wrote:
> ><snip>
>
>>   What can NitrOS-9 do the old
>> CoCo couldn't?  It only does it faster.
>> <snip>
>
> Presumably you meant CoCo with stock OS-9?
>
> That's analogous to saying what can a current model family sedan do
> that a model-T Ford couldn't do. There is more than a speed upgrade
> but that alone is worth the price as it runs much much faster. There
> is support for a 6309 CPU core with its new opcodes. There are
> corrections to bugs within the stock OS-9 both LevelI and LevelII.
> There are new or improved utilities.
>
> Probably the most important factor in favor of NitrOS-9, as it is now
> being supplied and maintained by Boisy Pitre, over the stock OS-9 is
> we now have complete source code for all modules. That means
> improvements are possible at any time with minimal effort. It means
> that there is the equivalent of a tech support group for OS-9.

Bob,    I was over the top when I made that statement and I apologize to
all those who have made NitrOS-9 what it is today.  My statement was in
reaction to something  I considered inflamatory, namely that NitrOS-9
was the ONLY way to go and nothing else in the CoCo world mattered.
 That, I think you agree is not true.  Nick and John K have been
exploring the 256 color situation, Boisy and Mark have expanded the CoCo
capability into CD ROM's and an improved DECB compatibility.  As I
stated earlier, I have been stumbling along with the incomplete melange
called the OS-9 upgrade trying to see if it really is a worthwhile
interface.  So, from that standpoint, there is much more happening and
more to look into than just the 6309 and NitrOS-9 and they should not be
belittled.  Again, I'm sorry if I caused any hard feelings in the community.

Griz