[Coco] Coco BASIC files

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Fri Dec 19 08:29:55 EST 2003

arikboke at yahoo.com wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Some please explain to me why BASIC comes in 'BASIC binary" and 'BASIC ascii'.
>Are not BASIC sources supposed to be .TXT files?  Also, when placed onto
>virtual diskettes via IMGTOOL in MESS, often times I am unable to access said
>files (neither ASCII nor binary).  I keep getting "FM? ERROR ..." or some
>variants.  Have they become corrupt?

Binary BASIC files are tokenized, whereas ASCII BASIC files are straight
text.  Additionally, there is a file type and if this file type is
incorrectly specified, you will get a "?FM ERROR".  By default MESS
attempts to write files as binary and you will have to tell IMGTOOL to
write the file as ASCII BASIC.

I also see that the flags to do this appear to be broken in IMGTOOL for
MESS 0.77.  I'll make sure that this is fixed for the next version.