[Coco] Nitros9 3.2.0 6809L2 on real hardware

Ray Watts rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 18 19:00:03 EST 2003

Willard Goosey wrote:

>>Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:38:34 -0800
>>From: Ray Watts <rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net>
>>

>>..... or, what is even easier, download the vdg-window modules from
>>RTSI,  put them in your bootfile, then type:
>>

>Why?  NitrOS-9 includes them.

Since I have been running them this way for about 14 years, I obviously
did not have NitrOS-9 at my disposal.  There are many CoCo people out
there who are not into emulation, or, into the methods of converting
.dsk images into CoCo disks and I happen to be one of them.  They need a
quick and useful method of launching VDG windows.  In fact, if anyone
can explain how to use the .dsk conversion and manipulation tools on Mac
Sys OS 9.1, I would be eternally greatful.  The only access I have to a
command line is through Applescript.  I have unsuccessfully tried this
several times.

>>    shell <>>> /vdg(#)     where # is the module selected (0 to 3 since
>>there are 4 in the download).  Of course, VDGint must also be in the
>>bootfile.
>>

>shell -i=<device> is better.  You get an "immortal" shell, which
>ignores EOF.

I am not a fan of "immortal" shells.  Hitting ESC is easier and quicker
than typing ex <RTN>.  I find it quite simple to launch an app by "app"
<>>>/w#& or shell <>>>/w#& when I need it, then just pressing ESC when
I'm through.  Its easier and cleaner in a shell script or program also.
 I have never understood why Tandy and the "Gurus" have put so much
emphasis on "immortal" shells.