[Coco] Re: History of Tandy/Radio Shack Cassette Recorders

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 17 16:00:03 EST 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Torsten Dittel wrote:

> > It is entitled "Data Synchronization Apparatus"
>
> Interesting that this technic got its own "CoCo" patent. For me it looks
> like a common "frequency shift keying (FSK)" modulation:

  Actually, I used to be a patent examiner (with the US Patent and
Trademark Office).  You'd be surprised what is patentable, especially
these days.  One of the most common questions ever asked of me was "Why
are you rejecting my patent when you (the Patent Office) allowed so many
others that seem so obvious?"  The answer usually lies in the claims
(legalese run-on sentences at the end of the patent) which are supposed to
point out exactly what the inventor claims to be his invention.  Er, for
example, the Wright Brother's patent is not for an airplane.  It is for a
particular type of wing flap.  If anyone wants it, I'll explain more.
  Now that everything down to business practices are patentable (which
would have otherwise been rejected under 35 USC 101), who knows what
they're issuing these days...
  I have a collection of coco-specific patents.  I've given the list out
several times before, but will again if anyone wants it.
                   - Aaron Banerjee