[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Ouch!

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Wed Dec 17 14:02:12 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett at verizon.net>

> Whats the diff?  Copper welds itself together, solid silver
doesn't.
> The copper contacts were welding themselves into position and the
> driving solenoid was burning up trying to jerk them open.  That
> solenoid weighed about 5 lbs, and its driving coil was about 30
turns
> of 8 gauge wire being banged by 230 volts.  If the contacts stuck,
it
> was very smelly history in 1 second flat.  Normally it worked in
> about 10 milliseconds so it wasn't a problem.

I had something similar. The water cooling system at the local Coke
bottlers plant was short cycling. I quickly tracked the problem to
low AC voltage, then battled the city to get them to crank up the
transformer tap which fixed it.

The motor starter was mounted above a table where several women
worked, and the starter cycled in and out so fast it was like a super
buzzer with lots of arcing. The plant manager said some women had
hysterics each time it happened.

Still better than the time the float switch on the syrup tank failed
and they ran syrup through the whole, carpeted, office complex! Glad
I missed that.

Neil

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: