[Coco] History of Tandy/Radio Shack Cassette Recorders

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 16 21:54:39 EST 2003

I'm sure just about everyone's aware of this, but just in case:
   Back in the "good 'ol days" when we used cassette to store our
programs/data, there was a difference in cassette recorders.  Some
cassette recorders were labeled "Computer Compatible", which meant that
they did not invert the signal played back by the tape (if you're just
listening with your ear, it doesn't matter whether or not the cassette
recorder inverts).
   There is a US Patent specific to the coco which is the CLOAD/CLOADM
routine (including the sourcecode).  The invention was that the coco
doesn't care whether or not the tape recorder inverts -- you can use your
walkman to record/load coco programs with a coco.  I thought I'd be funny
and use an 8-track for CLOAD/CSAVE once (by the way, there's a reason that
never caught on...).  I don't have the patent with me, but the inventor
was Dale Chatham.  I'll look it up if anyone's interested (who doesn't
already have the patent).
             - Aaron