[Coco] quota : scans of old magazines

John Guin johnguin at hotmaill.com
Tue Dec 16 12:55:51 EST 2003

Hello all,

This thread forces an issue I was going to raise in a few weeks.  I plan on using my scanner to scan my set of Color Computer Magazines and Hot Coco magazines to PDF files.  Mostly I'm doing this for myself - the paper and staples holding these issues together aren't going to last much longer, and I would like a more permanent method of storing them.

Afterwards, I thought about uploading them to the web, but hit some concerns.
1.  Copyright concerns.  One of the reasons I wasn't doing this for the Rainbow is that at one point Lonnie Falk was offering back issues, and I did not want to cut into his potential sales.  (The square binding and later newspaper formats was another concern).

2.  I would potentially cut into the sales/bid prices for anyone related to this group who wanted to sell his or her copies of these magazines.  While most of the members of this group probably have the info they want, I could see someone trying to sell duplicate or unwanted magazines, and any upload I have could potentially eliminate a buyer from the sales process.

3.  Bandwidth problems - I don't know if anyone would have the time/space/interest in hosting what would probably be around 850MB of PDFs.

So, please respond to me or the group for 1 and 2, and little 'r' me for 3 if you have a solution.

Thanks,
John