[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] coco 3 on monitor Tandy MC-5

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Dec 15 15:29:06 EST 2003

Pierre/Animal Tamer,

I won't attempt to speak for Mark Marlette, but given my relationship
with Mark and Cloud-9, I feel that I can add a few comments about
Cloud-9's pricing.

Like any for-profit business, Cloud-9 bases its pricing on these
factors:
  1. material costs
  2. time costs
  3. a fair profit

The particular product in question is the video cable set.  Mark would
have to speak up about this, but I suspect a considerable amount of the
cost is the time put into making the item.  The cable is part of a
modular system of cabling that Mark came up with to solve a particular
problem on the CoCo 3: the lack of an "industry standard" monitor
connector.  In essence, you are paying $40 for two cables, not one.
Two cables equals more parts and more time.

Given that Mark has a full time job (like myself) and has a life
outside of the CoCo (as well as I), he has a certain fixed amount of
time for Cloud-9, and that time has to be divided among product
development, order fulfillment, etc.  We both enjoy doing the work that
Cloud-9 affords us to do, but if we were to pay ourselves for the time
we put into it, we would definitely be making less than minimum wage.
So #2, time costs, isn't really reflected in the price of our products.

At first glance, $40 for two video cables may seem high, but when you
think of the CoCo market as a niche market which doesn't deliver the
volume to justify the pricing structure that we are used to getting at
Wal-Mart and other places, you can begin understand why the prices are
set the way that they are.  We don't have a factory, an assembly plant
or cheap labor.  We are doing this ourselves meticulously, carefully
and with an eye toward quality.

As for quality, that is one thing that I firmly believe makes Cloud-9
stand out.  From our website to our hardware and software, Cloud-9 has
consistently placed a premium on quality, and will continue to do so.
We may not have discount prices, but our products speak for themselves.

Lastly, I say this without any intended or implied sarcasm: if you
still feel that Cloud-9's prices aren't justified, you always have the
option of buying the materials and making the products yourself.

Boisy Pitre