[Coco] Y2K fixes ever developed or posted?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Dec 14 10:07:07 EST 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 09:26, David wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 11:01:09PM -0600, Dave Kelly wrote:

Of the ones I played with, the dallas semi and the mm6242, neither of
these clocks can handle the rollover at 99>100.  The dallas semi used
in the B&B XT-RTC did take the rollover, but then failed on the next
minute IIRC, apparently stopping completely.  The mm6242 apparently
threw away any effect of the rollover and continued on its merry way
thinking it was now the year 1900.  I don't recall if I ever
published the dallas semi clock in any event as it has other, far
more pressing problems that would prevent its use by me in any design
I would ever have contemplated.

The seriel shiftng in of the 32 bit access code string took so long,
with the interrupts locked out, that you could not download anything
even at a paltry 300 baud without causeing all sorts of grief for the
zmodem protocol.  The original B&B code got its minute updates from
the chip on the minute, making it plumb useless for online work. I
extended the counters in the clock module eventually and put it down
to boot and once a day, at midnight IIRC, which made it usable
online.

The disto clock I did got its time on the second, but its access was
fast enough to not be a problem.  I also repaired the access protocol
of that chip when it was found to keep very good time turned off, but
lost several seconds per hour when the coco was running.  That was a
read the chip protocol error, as they were using a reset to the top
of the second command to stop the counters long enough to get a
stable reading.  There was another command that froze the ripples
without actually resetting the clock, using that stopped the time
loss when the coco was powered up.

Actually bus glitches at power up occasionally fubared it, so it had
to be corrected like a forgetfull child from time to time.

>> Microware did not fix the Y2K problem in OS9 until version 3.1 or
>> 3.2.
>
>They issued an upgrade for 2.4 - called it 2.9 which included Y2K
> fixes for several utilities plus a few bugfixes.  However, the
> price was a bit prohibitive.  IIRC, they were asking something in
> the way of $2,000.  I didn't think I needed it _that_ badly.

Sales would have had to been miniscule, or undetectable in accounting
I'd think.  Sheesh.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M