[Coco] Dumb way to write 3.5" floppy in Coco RSBASIC?

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 15:08:36 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/13/03 2:38:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gene.heskett at verizon.net writes:

> Same difference Mike.  "zmodem" refers to the protocol, and its sz or
>  rz that executes the protocol.  As the archive is shipped with the
>  title of rzsz-version.number, the rzsz name has become attached.
>  BTW, since version 3.17, the one you are running came from my
>  machines compiler.  3.36 I believe is the last one I built.

Thanks for the history fill-in, Gene.  I don't have any version of zmodem,
since this came out after I had stopped downloading from CIS/Delphi and was
doing it at work on a Sun that could write PC format disks.  That would be after I
got my MM/1 and could use it to convert PC disk files to Coco OS-9 format.
The Sun used genuine adult Internet FTP.

>  Dcheck of course will have a box of kittens over that as it didn't
>  check the link count in the fd IIRC!  One could call that a bug in
>  dcheck I suppose, but since we never had an "ln -s src target"
>  command in os9, well, ahh, mmm...  If I get my system back up and
>  running again, thats one of the utils I intend to write.  That, and
>  an 'mv' that picks up a dir entry and puts it in some other dir,
>  optionally renaming it as it goes.

Right, I remember years ago the controversy over whether we should use
symbolic links in OS-9, since DCheck would not approve.  Also, if you moved the real
file, you had to re-link it (just like *NIX).

There is a real nice 3rd-party "mv" command on my MM/1's OSK.  I *think* I
might even have one on my Coco3.  I'll look.  Both require caution, since unlike
OS-9, they don't check for overwriting an existing file.  --Mike K.